Aka 46 Maps Edition
Current Version of BMBF: 1.9.0
Current Supported Version of Beat Saber: 1.10.0
Current Supported Version of ScoreSaber: 0.2.2
Read Me First
If you’re NOT having issues, and you’re just looking to upgrade, please skip this section.
If you’re here because your BMBF or Beat Saber is screwed up, partially installed, not working right — whatever — then you’ll want to follow these guides FIRST.
Once clean, return here for the complete setup and configuration.
Note: There are probably a dozen different ways to go about this task. I’m offering you the way that works for me and I’ll keep this article up to date with this methodology.
Whether you’re here to upgrade or install fresh, we’ll need to take care of a few requirements.
To make life easy, you should have a computer running on the same network as your Quest. You’ll need a PC for SideQuest anyway; just make sure it is on the same network as the Quest is.
You should already have SideQuest set up and working. We will not be covering any set up or configuration of SideQuest. If you need help, the official site’s Setup Page is THE place to go.
Beat Saber should already be installed and working. Launch it once, just to make sure everything is fine; then exit. Be sure you have all your DLC downloaded and installed prior to modding.
You will need the latest BMBF .apk file from their website Look under Assets and download the APK file. You should always get the latest version, toward the top. The screen below is only a representation of what you might see.
We’re going to use the “Bookmark Sync Method” of getting custom songs. There are other ways of doing it, but this is my recommendation. Go perform that tutorial first, then return here.
You can back up several elements of Beat Saber and BMBF prior to performing an install or update. Note: the format of the data can change from version to version. A backup won’t necessarily guarantee full data restoration.
- Beat Saber Game/Score Data (Guide)
- Manually Backup Custom Songs (Guide)
- Use Playlist Editor Pro to backup your Custom Playlists (App Site)
- You have the latest BMBF apk from the official download site
- Beat Saber is installed and functional; your paid DLC is downloaded and installed
- You have bookmarked some custom songs and you know your Beast Saber username
- Performed any backups you feel are necessary
Make sure you have followed the Getting Started section above.
- If you do not have BMBF installed at all, please skip this section down to Installing BMBF.
- If you are running a version of BMBF prior to 1.8.0, skip this section down to Installing BMBF.
BMBF 1.9.0 fully supports Beat Saber v1.10.0 (aka 46 Maps Edition). Use this section of the guide to make sure everything goes well.
- Follow the Getting Started guide above to ensure you are set up adequately and have the latest BMBF version.
- Be sure to close Beat Saber before continuing.
- If you want to save your scores, Beat Saber progress and data, perform a backup. Use guide: Backup/Restore Beat Saber Data
- Perform the section Installing BMBF with SideQuest below, then return here.
- Run BMBF (Use guide: Running BMBF)
- Put on your Quest. BMBF should be running.
- Select Tools then Uninstall BS. This will uninstall Beat Saber properly for you.
- Select Ok.
- You will be returned to the Oculus home screen.
- Wait a moment or two, the go to Not Installed apps. Sometimes it takes a moment for Oculus to realize the app is gone.
- Reinstall Beat Saber (which should bring you up to 1.10.0 (aka 46 Maps Edition)
- Run Beat Saber and make sure all your paid DLC content is there.
- Exit Beat Saber.
- Run BMBF (Use guide: Running BMBF)
- The First Run BMBF Wizard should run. Jump to that section below, then return here.
- Provided you were prompted for a RESTORE and it was successfully run, all your songs and playlists should be intact.
Note: There may be a pending SYNC TO BEAT SABER button flashing. Perform that action.
- Run Beat Saber and accept the request for permissions.
- Verify your songs are there.
- Exit Beat Saber.
- Perform a restoration of your Beat Saber data. Use guide: Backup/Restore Beat Saber Data
- Update your Mods; ScoreSaber needs 0.2.2 to function properly, for example.
You MUST manually Uninstall BMBF before continuing the install to 1.9.0
You MUST Uninstall Beat Saber Manually and reinstall Beat Saber before installing BMBF 1.9.0
You should have followed the steps above under Beat Saber 1.10.0 Upgrade From BMBF 1.8.1 to 1.9.0
You do NOT need to manually uninstall BMBF or Beat Saber before starting the tutorial. Beat Saber is uninstalled as part of the standard modding workflow.
If you have a botched Beat Saber 1.8.x that won’t start: Uninstall Beat Saber Manually and reinstall Beat Saber before installing BMBF 1.9.0
- Plug your Quest into your computer
- Run SideQuest on your computer— make sure it says CONNECTED on the top left of the window
- Click the 9 pip icon in the top bar of SideQuest
- Open Windows Explorer (or the file manager of your choice) and find the com.weloveoculus.bmbf.apk file you downloaded above.
- Drag the apk file from Windows Explorer to the SideQuest logo and release it.
- Check MY TASKS (it may not read that – follow the arrow icon on the screen below) to ensure BMBF installed (should be green).
- Run BMBF: Running BMBF
Note: Once you hit the CLICK CLOSE step, return here. You do not need to open BMBF in the browser at this time.
Once BMBF is running, you no longer have to have your Quest attached to your PC. You can unplug it now if you like.
If you’re coming from BMBF 1.8.0/1.8.1 to 1.9.0 – there will be NO first run process. Skip to Final Steps below.
The first time you access BMBF after installing, you’ll see the “wizard” start up, guiding you through the process.
- Put your Quest on — BMBF’s window should be there, ready for you.
- The first screen is an information screen. Simply click continue.
- Next, it will uninstall Beat Saber. This is required. Click Uninstall — If prompted, accept the uninstall option. If you have issues: Uninstall Beat Saber Manually
- The next step it to patch Beat Saber. Click Patch Beat Saber — This can take a bit; be patient.
- Next, it will install the newly patched copy of Beat Saber. Click Install — If prompted, accept the install option.
- Once you hit DONE and not OPEN, you will see Beast Saber’s website appear. Since you already have some songs bookmarked, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you are asked to restore previous items (songs, etc) — go ahead and say yes. This process appears to have been fixed from previous versions. If not, you’ll want to resync your songs via bookmarks. We’ll cover that later.
The hard part is over.
- In your Quest, return to the main Oculus home screen, exiting BMBF.
- If you did not restore any custom songs or playlists in the previous section, you should follow this guide and bookmark some songs: Bookmark Syncing
- If you peformed a backup, you should restore your Beat Saber data (scores, progress, etc) by using this tutorial: Backup/Restore Beat Saber Data
- If you were not prompted to restore your previous songs / playlists during the install wizard, check out this guide and use Playlist Editor Pro to restore your playlists..
- Run Beat Saber.
- You will be asked for storage permission: Grant it
- Inside Beat Saber, go into SOLO and look at the options along the bottom. Along with your OST “albums” you’ll also see Custom Maps. Depending on your custom playlists, it will look something like this:
If you’re looking for more help? Check out these sources.
- Oculus Quest Sub-Reddit
- My Discord Server in channel #virtual-reality
- Send me an email! If you see any incorrect information here, I appreciate the heads up!
Here are important things you need to know about each version of BMBF. If you are having problems, checking this list against your version of BMBF can be helpful.